Friday, May 22, 2015


 

178. Saint Paul. Part Three

 

He was guided by Holy Spirit and Jesus. Here is what he said:

 

“And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. 23 I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. 24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace”. (Acts 20:22-24)

 

20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. (Galatians 2:19-20 )

 

He worked for his living and was not a burden on society. Here is what he declared:

 

“I have not coveted anyone’s silver or gold or clothing. 34 You yourselves know that these hands of mine have supplied my own needs and the needs of my companions. 35 In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ”( Acts 20:33-35)

 

He asked a very important question, which had and has puzzled humanity for ages :

 

“ Well then , you might say, ‘Why does God blame people for not listening ? Haven’t they simply done what He made them do?’

20 But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’” 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?” ( Romans 9:19-21)

 

There was a great confusion amongst the new Christians who were originally non-Jews (Gentiles) as to what foods they were supposed to eat or not eat. For instance Jews did not eat pork but other nations ate pork. Jews who converted to Christianity like St Peter and other Apostles did not eat pork. St Paul clarified the matter ( same problem was about circumcision ). He has mentioned it in many of his letters. Let me quote:

14 I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. 15 If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy someone for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.             (Romans 14:14-17)

 

This mote believes in one God. Christians have Holy Trinity. I would like to quote what Paul said:

6 But for us, “There is only one God, the Father. Everything came from him, and we live for him.
There is only one Lord, Jesus Christ. Everything came into being through him, and we live because of him.” (1 Corinthians 8:6)


St Paul had the power to perform some type of miracles. Here is one mention of it:

11 And God wrought special miracles by the hands of Paul: 12 So that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them.13 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth. (Acts 19:11-13)

St Paul and the Apostles had a very hard life. What kept them going? St Paul gives a moving answer:

“We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 10 We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. 11 For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body. 12 So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.

13 It is written: “I believed; therefore I have spoken.” Since we have that same spirit of[b] faith, we also believe and therefore speak, 14 because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus from the dead will also raise us with Jesus and present us with you to himself. 15 All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God.

16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” (2 Corinthians 4:8-18)

1 comment:

Naffew said...

****** St. Paul ----> EVENS AFTER VISION OF CHRIST **


****** Book of Acts <---- vs ----> Book of Galatians ******


** St. Paul Book of Acts ----> Chapter (9) **


**EVENS AFTER VISION OF CHRIST **


Verse (1) to Verse (18):- Saul (St. Paul) sees vision of Jesus …

Verse (19):- And after taking some food, he regains his strength. Saul (St. Paul) spent several days with the disciple in Damascus.

Verse (20):- At once he began to preach in the synagogues that Jesus is the Son of God.

---> Vs <---

** Book of Galatians ----> Chapter 1 **


** EVENS AFTER VISION OF CHRIST **


Verse (14):- I, (writes St. Paul in this latter), was against Christians…

Verse (15):- But when God, who set me from birth and called me by His grace, was pleased

Verse (16):- To reveal His Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not consult any man

Verse (17):- Nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went immediately into Arabia and later returned to Damascus.

Verse (18):- Then after three years, I went up to Jerusalem to get acquainted with Peter and stayed with him fifteen days.

Verse (19):- I saw none of the other apostles – only James, the Lord’s brother.


****** ST. PETER ABOUT ST. PAUL ----> (2 Peter, Chapter 3) ******


(St. Peter not happy about St. Paul)


Verse (15):- Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote to you with the wisdom that God gave him.

Verse (16):- He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Verse (17):- Therefore, dear friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position.

Verse (18):- But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever! Amen.


****** ST. PAUL ABOUT ST. PETER ----> Galatians Chapter 2 ******


(St. Paul not happy about St Peter)


Verse (7):- On the contrary, they saw that I had been entrusted with the task of preaching the gospel to the Gentiles, just as peter had been to the Jews.

Verse (8):- For God, who was at work in the ministry of Peter as an apostle to the Jews, was also at work in my ministry as an apostle to the Gentiles.



Verse (11):- When Peter came to Antioch; I opposed him to his face, because he was clearly in the wrong.

Verse (12):- Before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group.

Verse (13):- The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabus was led astray.


****** St. Paul about false Scriptures ----> Galatians Chapter 1 ******


(St. Paul not very happy about scriptures written by few other Gospel writers.)


Verse (6):- I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel -

Verse (7):- Which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ.

Verse (8):- But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!